Friday, September 12, 2014

The Writer's Room

I like many writers carved myself out some space in which to write.  A room void of noise and interruption. A simple place.  A space where I could write that was without distraction.  It was everything I had dreamed of.

Except ..... I never wrote in there.  A few weeks ago I sat in there, determined to figure out why.  I could not.  It seemed the perfect writing room.  What is the problem? 

It is not that I don't write.  It is that I don't write in there.  I write in my office being interrupted by the phone, the doorbell, and email.  I write on the front porch with pen and paper watching the world go by.  That is when it hit me, I need stimulation in order to write! 

I don't know where I got the idea that I needed a room, locked away from the world to write.  Maybe I read it somewhere.  Or may it was just an excuse at one point, "I can't write because I need a place without distraction." However the thought had become stuffed into my brain; it had manifested itself into a writing room I could not write in.

I am someone who believes in change.  So a change was going to be made!  I was no longer going to try to force myself to write in that room.  First, I moved my desk so I could look out the window at the world.  Then I added a bird feeder just outside to watch the birds fly by.  Much better, but not enough.  So ...........
In came a lamp, in came the cat, in came shelves filled with knick-knacks.
In came a new rug, in came the books, in came the houseplants filling every nook.
In came the quilts, in came the throws, in came the carnival ducks sitting in a row.
Lots and lots of little changes that made this space my own.

Most importantly, in came me!  Now I had truly created the writing room for me.  A space locked away, but not too far.  A place filled with things that stimulate my creativity and calm my nerves.
A room I find I can't wait to sit in with my computer, my cat, and my thoughts.  I am in there, writing. A new happy place where just maybe I can find my true writer's voice.

Isn't is amazing how there seems to be a life lesson to be learned in every little aspect life.  Even writing rooms.  This became not only a room redo, but an opportunity to learn more about myself and what I need to be happy.





No comments:

Post a Comment