Wednesday, June 25, 2014

It's Summer Time!


    It's summer time you know.  Are you having fun?  Are you there yet?

      All work and no play makes summer like the rest of the year.  How sad is that?    Summer is the best time for getting in touch with your inner child.  I highly recommend that for your good mental health.  What did you love about summer when you were just a kid?  Besides not going to school.  For me it was biking riding all morning and then going to the pool to swim all afternoon. 
      I am as guilty as anyone about just letting summer slide by.  I haven't been in a pool since my granddaughters were in their preteens.  And bike riding?  Where is my bike?  What ever happened to it?  Let's see, last time I saw it I think the seat was missing.  Hey, when was the last time I drove my convertible?  Didn't we buy a new tent?  What happen to that?  I know we never used it.  Where are the frisbees we bought to try frisbee golf?  I hoping this doesn't sound familiar to you.
      I didn't realize it was this bad!  How does this happen?  I sometimes forget there is a swing right in my backyard.  I used to drink lemonade for breakfast on warm days.  And do yoga on the patio. 
     Well it isn't that hot this summer and I think there is no excuse for laying around in the house instead of in the sun.  I think we should make 2014 the summer of the inner child.  We should all find a place to swim, ride a bike, take a walk, swing in the park, play horseshoes, go on a picnic, do a silly craft project, read a book from our childhood, blow bubbles, drink kool aid, and act like a child. 
     So what do you think?  Will you join the movement?  Hey, why not?  A licensed mental health practitioner just gave you permission to act like a kid.  Take advantage of that and the weather.  Don't forget to wear you shorts and flip-flops!



For some more ideas in child like fun see the "Something to Do" page!

No comments:

Post a Comment